Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mustard Burgers

These burgers are adapted from a recipe in Vegan Gourmet and they are pretty tasty.  They are not chewy, but they are firm enough to hold together.  Good as patties on their own, or as burgers in buns.

Mustard Burgers

3/4 c. dry bulgur (for gluten free burgers, I suspect that a similar amount of millet or quinoa would work just as well)
1 1/2 c. boiling water
350 g. okara, or crumbled tofu
3 T. corn flour
1/2 T. onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. dried parsley
2 T. wholegrain mustard
1 t. hot english mustard
2 T. soy sauce

Soak bulgur in boiling water, covered, for 10 minutes.  Combine bulgur in a large bowl with all remaining ingredients and mix well.  Form into patties (you should get 8 to 10, depending on how big you make them).  Cook in a lightly oiled skillet until golden on both sides.

These are especially delicious served with a mustard-miso vinaigrette:

1/4 c. miso paste
3 T. whole grain mustard
2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. sherry

Mix all ingredients, and if you have time, set aside for about an hour before serving.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Eep! Just last night I discovered that I have millet (sometimes I forget things that should be more important to me), my tofu is about to expire, and a few days ago I bought miso for the first time. Serendipity? I think so!

DJ said...

I love the sound of this, my husband is a chewy hater (he referred to a stew I'd hidden TVP chunks in as 'chewy stewy') when it comes to anything like burgers or fake meats, so this sounds like a good alternative. And we all love mustard...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, I love mustard. These sound awesome!

Carmina Corazon: Desarma said...

Hi, I really like your blog and would like to add it to my blog roll list, if you don’t mind. And by the way congratulations for you wedding I know it was a long time ago, I loved the way it was DIY and avoided what weddings have become, an excuse to over consume. I would like to point out that I love the way you are congruent with your ideas, in the way you critique capitalism. Well I hope I was clear enough for you, my English is kind of crapity crap.

Amy said...

Nom!!!

Kelly said...

Mustard burgers - how intriguing! Totally different than your normal veggie burger...

Theresa said...

Hannah - miso is probably one of the loves of my life. Enjoy it! And let me know if you try them with millet, I'm curious to know if it works.

DJ - lol @ chewy stewy :)

Carmina - Add away!

Vaala ◪ said...

These look quite good but I've never really used mustard so don't have it sitting around. I'm quite tempted to try an adaption with quinoa...I used to make these patties with couscous and chickpeas and these, for some reason, reminded me of that.