Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A winning combination?

What could I possibly make with this combination of ingredients? Why would the thought even occur to me to combine potato chips with peanut butter, chocolate and raspberries?

Well, I've been following the travels and chocolate-eatering of one Hannah, of Wayfaring Chocolate blog. She recently trialled a Trader Joe's candy bar, the PB & J. Hannah was disappointed in the product (as were other reviewers I found while googling said candy bar) but I was intrigued. Chocolate, peanut butter and jam -- that makes sense. But potato chips?

Given the utter lack of Trader Joe's in Australia, I set about thinking of ways to create a similar concoction. I seriously considered attempting a candy bar, but instead decided on a slice -- a bit closer to my comfort zone. I also decided to use whole raspberries, instead of raspberry jam, because that's how I roll.

In the end, I very closely followed the recipe for black bottom no-bake peanut butter silk pie (or whatever the name of it is) from Vegan with a Vengeance. Chocolate biscuit crust, then sprinkled with frozen raspberries, peanut butter filling poured over, and chocolate ganache spread across the top before sprinkling with crushed potato chips.

This was good -- not great. The flavour combinations were indeed intriguing and have serious potential. However, there were a few flaws in my technique that need tweaking. For instance, my biscuit bottom was a bit soggy, my chips weren't crushed enough, and my chocolate ganache was too hard. And a serious flaw that I really need to think about to overcome -- potato chips get soggy really easily. I put this in the fridge to chill for less than an hour, and the chips were already stale. I love the idea of a crunchy topping, but next time I think I'll try putting the chips under the chocolate.

10 comments:

Hannah said...

I bow down to you, Theresa (and not only because you opted for crunchy peanut butter, 86% chocolate, and kettle style chips - you are a true gourmet :D). I'm proud to be the instigator of such kitchen creativity, and will be absolutely keen to stop over in QLD on my way home in a few months time, and help you perfect this idea... with taste-testing, of course!

I truly believe you have the power to make the combination delicious, and prove to America that Aussies do it better ;)

cybele said...

I think the solution to the soggy chips it to mix them into the chocolate. The chocolate has no moisture so it'll keep them sealed up from humidity so they stay fresh (think about how well it protects crisped rice).

Awesome assembly!

nora said...

You're so creative! I've always wanted to try those PB potato chip cookies from the skinny bitch book!

Vaala ◪ said...

Crazy but genius at the same time. I was terribly intrigued as to how on earth potato chips were going to feature in this recipe! Cybele might be right with the idea of mixing the chips into the chocolate to keep them from getting soggy. Wish I was closer to do some taste-testing!

Theresa said...

PB Potato chip cookies? I must investigate this further...

Good plan with the choc coated chips. Next time I try this, that will be my strategy!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, this is too funny ... I bow, too, to your creativity...but I'm not sure I'll try to recreate your experiment.

Anonymous said...

even if it wasn't "great" it still looks amazing! your pics are always beautiful. potato chips pb and chocolate sounds really good to me lol

Gina said...

Well the picture looks awesome!! I'm not a huge potato chip fan though, I'd prob just go with a sea salted ganache or something. Way to be inventive, I love it!!

GrassingAbout.com said...

Salted crisps on top? What an off combination, though I am sure it was delicious.

DJ said...

I love the look of the curry - Sri Lankan Curry sounds very intriguing, but I have to be honest - potato chips? On a cake?! Not convinced... Btw, I've nominated you for a blog award. DJxo