Thursday, September 03, 2009

Get stuffed.

Somehow I managed to accumulate a ridiculous backlog of photos, so that although the weather warmed back up to very high-20s a few weeks ago, I still have winter food photos which I haven't posted.

First, sausage rolls--puff pastry stuffed with a mix of bulgur, tvp, veggies and spices. I posted about these before, at which time I put half the unbaked rolls into the freezer. I'm happy to report that they work well going from freezer into oven, though of course they take a little bit longer to bake. We had our sausage rolls with our newest favourite side dish, Cauliflower Popcorn. This is literally just cauliflower cut up quite small, tossed with salt and/or spices, and baked at 200 (400F) until they get soft and caramelised. Seriously yummy. We also threw some corn and carrots in the oven while it was on to add colour to our plate. (Ooops, edited to add the link to the sausage roll recipe.)

Next is stuffed butternut pumpkin. Andy made this, and it was so long ago that I honestly don't remember what was in it. But as above, the star of the show was the side dish. Roasted daikon radishes, with just a little salt, pepper and garlic. The salad was pretty good too, all tomato and avocado and snowpea shoots.

And in keeping with the other two meals, the side dish was actually the best component of this last meal as well. The entree was gnocchi with tomato sauce, made by Andy. He fried the gnocchi and then added the bubbling sauce to the very hot skillet, and ended up with a tomato-ey Mount Vesuvius. Seriously, tomato sauce was erupting all over the kitchen for about five minutes. The side dish was delicious and not quite so messy. Andy called these "garlic bread zucchinis" and they were basically that--chunks of bread, roasted garlic and oil stuffed into hollowed out zukes and put under the griller for a few minutes. The salad was also fab with its raw corn and fresh dill.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

yum your zucchinis look delicious! i actually just made millet stuffed zucchini from vwav the other week, and soo tasty! who would have though of stuffing a zucchini ;) btw..if yours is big enough the seeds look like pumpkin seeds, and roast like them too! soo tasty! :)

lisa said...

Cauliflower popcorn - great idea!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So much deliciousness, as always!! I'm particularly eyeing the zucchini - yum!!

Vaala ◪ said...

Ooo everything looks delicious. I should try your sausage rolls - my flatmate has an unhealthy obsession with that kind of thing (if we go out to one of the local vegetarian cafes he buys every single one they have!).

x said...

Cauliflower popcorn sounds like a great idea and I am so going to make it :)

And I seem to have quite a lot of photos that I am yet to blog as well so it's a good thing we're doing AusNzVeganMoFo!

Amy said...

Ooooh - I love the Cauliflower idea!
I'm out of photos! I'm going to have to cook something enormously complicated just so I have something to post! Le sigh.

Erin said...

Your garlic bread zucchini is an awesome idea! Love it.

dreaminitvegan said...

great stuffed zucchini, I still have many left in my garden.
The gnocchi looks lovely.

Bianca said...

Everything looks delicious. I have some extra puff pastry in my freezer leftover from a recipe. I'll have to try your sausage puff recipe to use it up!