Thursday, November 13, 2008

They're back...

Longer-term readers of this blog will know that Andy and I are kind of obsessed with mangoes (see all my mango-tagged posts). So we’ve been watching the mango blossoms turn into tiny mangoes, and waiting for the days when they get big enough and ripe enough to eat.

Well, the time is here. I saw a sign advertising Cheap Bowen Mangos outside a barber shop so I went in and got four littlies for $2. We waited impatiently as they ripened on the benchtop, picking them up daily to sniff them and feel for the tell-tale tenderness.

When they finally ripened, we didn’t bother with recipes, juicers, or any fuss whatsoever—we just cut them open and ate them plain, juice dripping down our hands as we went.

It’s still early in the season, so cheap mangos are few and far between, but expect to see more of them over the next few weeks and months.

The funny thing is – it was only a few weeks ago that we used up the last of the mango in the freezer from last season.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

MANGOES!!!

urban vegan said...

I love mangoes...I buy them fresh (2 for $1 is the max I will pay), frozen and I also enjoy the pulp.

But our mangoes don't taste nearly as good as Aussie mangoes, right?

Theresa said...

UV--we have the same price threshold. I haven't eaten many mangos in north america, but I think I can safely say that they are much yummier the closer you are to the source. My favourite mangos to buy are the ones people sell on the sidewalk which they pick from backyard trees. Wheelbarrows have no carbon emissions :)

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Yay for mangoes!!! I can practically taste them from here.

Anonymous said...

i love mangoes they are my favorite fruit ! in my grandmothers house in panama we had a mango tree and we ate all summer , also mango "chicha" wich is a kind of juice is very refreshing!

Anonymous said...

oh boy, i cant wait to sink into my first one for the season!

Groover said...

I LOOOOOOOVE mangos. It's one of the first things I fell in love with when I first came to Oz. Is it already this time of year? I haven't seen any in Brisbane, yet. Then again, Alberto has been doing the shopping and he hasn't brought any home from his weekly excursions, so I assume they are still too expensive (should they be there already). We used to have a mango tree in the backyard in Cairns. They were a very stringy kind but I used to make this awesome mango bread with them. See if I can dig up the recipe if you are interested.

Amy said...

Nice! Exams must nearly be over if it's mango time!!!!

x said...

I LOVE MANGOES!! Good work on getting 4 for $2. Here they're $4 each, eek!

Theresa said...

Groover--mango bread recipe? Yes please! The stringy ones you had are probably the "common mango" or "turpentine mango" that grow in most people's backyards. I would love to have a yard with a mango tree in it!

the little one said...

Yeah mangoes! Can't wait to see everything you do with them this season!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh how I wish it was mango season here.... sigh. Enjoy one for me!